Our country is in a time of turmoil at a scale that has not been seen in decades. Nearly everyone across the globe has an opinion about what’s happening. I recognize that, as a white person, my opinion is not of greatest importance. Black lives matter and black voices need to be the ones lifted up during this time. However, if I am the only voice you’re hearing on the matter, please listen.
- Regardless if Mike Brown fought back with Wilson (though he did not, ask me for sources), his death is unjustifiable. Had Brown been white, he would have been tackled, or tazered at the most. Yes, this is a matter of race.
- Regardless if Mike Brown was murdered with his hands above his head or pumping in the air as he ran away from Wilson, his death is unjustifiable. Had Brown been white, he would have been shot in the leg, not in the head. Yes, this is a matter of race.
- Regardless of how the protesters in Ferguson choose to respond to the grand jury’s verdict, your focus should be on the verdict itself. Darren Wilson walks free. Mike Brown is dead. Yes, this is a matter of race.
- Regardless of the verdict, Darren Wilson is guilty of the unjustifiable murder of Michael Brown. You should know by now that a jury’s decision does not equal the truth. Yes, this is a matter of race.
- Regardless of the color of your skin as you read this, American police have shot and killed two blacks a week for the last six years. Yes, this is a matter of race.
How dare you invalidate my opinions and silence my voice because of my age. The last time I was outspoken on social media and did not stop talking about an issue, I was encouraged to apply to become a Sexual Aggression Peer Advocate at Central Michigan University. SAPA has been leading the nation (literally) since 1997 in sexual assault/misconduct legislature at the university and national level. Our program is recognized and used by the United States Marine Corps and United States Navy. So tell me again that being loud will not change anything. Tell me again that I’ll learn to be quiet when I get older.
FERGUSON IS A MATTER OF RACE.
(This post in memory of Michael Brown, John Crawford, Tamir Rice, and the countless other black boys and men that have died by the bullets of the United States police.)